Easy Mothers Day Activities to do this Year
Mother's Day is approaching fast, May 9th to be exact. Being a teen, it is sometimes hard to buy your mom a fancy gift or take her out to an expensive dinner. That is totally ok! Luckily, Im here to give you a few ideas of what you can do on Mother's Day that don't require extensive preparation or a ton of money. All of these things can be done in the confort of your own home!
Do-It-Yourself projects and activities are the perfect way to make Mother's Day special. The beauty of DIYs is that they can all be coustomized to fit your mom's prefrences. I could go on and on about the special place in my heart that is DIY's... Anyways, lets get into 8 activities that you can do for/with your mom this mother's day!
Gift a sugar scrub
Sugar Scrubs are super easy to make and are perfect if your mom loves skincare or just a hot bath. Here is what you will need:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- Optional: 2 tbs citrus zest or 10 drops of her favorite essential oil
Just combine all the ingredients and store in an air tight jar! You can even make it cute by tieing a ribbon around it or a gift tag!
2. Make her a breakfast charcuterie board
Charcuterie boards have been all the rage on Tok Tok this year and they are literally all over my for you page. Why not test out your skills by making your mom a breakfast charcuterie board! Of course, if your mom is like mine and doesn't love breakfast foods, you can always alter the ingredients for lunch, or even a cheese board itself. Here is what you will need for the breakfast one:
- Fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries, oranges, grapes, raspberries, melon, etc)
- Chocolate Chips
- Any other of your favorite pancake/waffle toppings
Obviously, make the pancakes and whip cream as instructed (click on the word to get the recipe). Then cut your fresh fruit and arange it nicely on the board. Put the whip creme and syrup in separate dishes/bowls and incorporate those on the board. Arrange your pancakes. Here is some inspo:
3. Have a Spa Day
This is pretty self explanatory. All moms would love to be pampered on their special day. It is also such a great opportunity to get in some self care. Here are some things you can do:
- Face mask
- Paint nails
- Hair mask
- Hand Massage
- Bath bomb/hot bath
- light a candle
4. Movie Night
Sometimes, work can get in the way of Mother's Day plans. If so, a movie night is a perfect option! You can have it all set up for when your mom gets home! Here is the steps for a perfect movie night:
- Make a snack bar with all of your mom's favorite treats. Personally, mine lovessss chocolate. In that case, I'm going to put out a bowl of peanut m&ms, some snickers, red vines, and peanut butter cups. And of course I will have a big bowl of popcorn
- Set up the couch full of blankets and pillows
- Lay out your movie options if you are using DVDs or pick out a few on Netflix and let her choose!
5. Make her a scrapbook
Scrapbooking is actually so fun and simple! You can do this craft with your mom or make it for her. Just grab a notebook, print out your favorite memories, and add come decorations! Look below for some inspiration:
6. Cook dinner
Moms always need a break from the kitchen so it would be so nice to make her dinner! I recommend something completely from scratch. My mom loves Italian so this year I am making her fresh pasta!
7. Paint Night
If you have a crafty mom this craft is perfect! Simply set up some canvases, paint, and brushes and get to painting! If you aren't super creative don't even worry, there are a ton of amazing paint tutorials online where you can follow along with them. You can even set up some snacks to go along with this activity. Here are some tutorials:
8. Make some flower arrangements
Recently, my mom and I were introduced to flower arranging. It is genuinely sooooo much fun! It is so fun to go down to a local flower shop, pick your favorites, and go home to arrange! We learned some really great tips from a friend and I wanted to share them with you:
- make a grid out of floral tape on the top of your vase to keep the flowers in place
- cut all stems at an angle
- cut all leaves and thorns off your flowers
- choose 1-2 main flowers and 2-3 filler flowers to work with